Sunday, November 18, 2012

Quiet action; reaction; reward.

On a recent outing with Sundance, thriving in the chill of our morning walk, I glanced over to Sundance and noticed he was smiling at me. He gave me the "OK" look, that all was going to be gold, no matter what the weather projected onto us. The sky was gray and cloudy, raindrops fell by the gallon, birds were flying desperately to find some shelter, and the neighborhood cat was sprinting home in the hopes of curling up next to his warm owner. Sundance and I did not mind. In fact, we were both reduced to pure satisfaction, knowing that our day had just begun, our lives were heading forward, and all was in balance.

It does not take Sundance long to share his emotions with people.  His mission in life is to serve and do good, evidenced in the sociable and well-mannered dog he was groomed to be. So much of what I see in him is the product of good nurturing by Alexia and me. Alexia and I both wanted a dog that would be calm, and still be engaged in all our activities. Sundance had no idea what he was in for.

The optimistic point I am recognizing from Sundance comes from the smallest things that make him react, triggering an emotion of pleasure and the gratifying response from me. It just so happened to be a droplet of water near his ear that stirred up a shake and the gratifying visual praise I shared back at him.

It is amazing how much we both have learned from each other, and I feel our connection strengthening.

I am also happy we started our training from the very first day we met.

LIVE HAPPY!

No comments:

Post a Comment