Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Three Happy Reasons

Sundance's Weekly Blog: Sundance and James discuss what makes a dog happy. 


James: So Sundance, I've been doing the answering for some time now. How about changing things up and you begin answering some  questions? You're a big boy now. 


Sundance: Thanks James! I've been waiting for my opportunity. Besides, you and Mama have really done a super job with me these last four years. Answering questions for you would only polish off the great job you've both done with me.


James: Boy, you are good! 


Sundance: Thanks James. Every night before I go to bed, I am so grateful for living out a balanced life. To be honest, I can only think in the now. That's all there ever is. Now. And in the now, I feel happy and tired. 


James: I've come across many dogs in my life and was interested to find out what you think about the sort of stuff that makes a dog happy. I can list a few like exercise, work, and companionship. Do you feel that these ideas help a dog become balanced?


Sundance: You mentioned exercise. I love exercise. Without it what would we be? Just a pile of fat-jello! I like to begin each day with a run or walk. Ideally with you and Mama, and especially with any of the dog guests we have visiting us on any given day. I feel as though without exercise, my life would become too stressful. You and I both know by now being sedentary is not conducive to a healthy lifestyle. So you see, exercise is a fundamental part to life and without it a dog would go crazy and become perpetually unhappy, leading to a life of barking, biting, endlessly fixating on moving objects, behavioral obsessions, or even licking and scratching body parts. 


James: So a dog that does not exercise is unhappy, stressed, and prone to behavioral problems? 


Sundance: That sums it up. 


James: What else makes a dog fulfilled?


Sundance: Being able to work and perform duties. You've seen it happen to your human brothers and sisters. When they do not have the window to be part of a working society, they grow frustrated and depressed. Just like humans, work plays a major part in our involvement and the function of a healthy mind. 


James: What kind of work are you talking about?


Sundance: Before we can work, training is critical. This is where you and Mama have fulfilled me and trained my mind to understand rules, boundaries and limitations. You've given me the necessary dog-bones to conceptualize what you mean and how you would like me to behave under all circumstances. This is critical for a new puppy or for a rescue-dog to understand. Imagine had you not taken the time and been consistent with my training, I may have been locked up behind some dog bars hoping to be liberated only on the merits of my golden curls.


James: There are some major advantages to working. Dogs and people are less likely to grow bored. But if you worked all day, wouldn't that make you dull and complacent? 


Sundance: Yes! All work and no play would make Sundance unhappy. This leads me to companionship. Companionship is social time. It is when I get to run on a beach, sleep with my brother, laugh with Mama and even get groomed. The best part about companionship is being rewarded for a job well done. This is what makes me happy! When I am given the chance to exercise, work and given companionship; in that order, I feel fulfilled and am able to rest at night. 



No comments:

Post a Comment